Sunday, November 4, 2007

Fall Photos

Well, fall is here - my favorite season! After all the overtime prepping body after body last week, I decided to take a little time to photograph the old guy Chinook Studios is named after. The colors suit him so well this time of year, even with his funny clipped coat. Here are a couple of my favorites:



For those who don't know, Chinny is insulin resistant and most likely has Cushings. He gets along just fine, but I have to do some special things for him to maintain tip top shape. One of those things is a 3/4 inch modified body clip. It may seem weird to body clip a retired horse for the winter, but it seems to work well for him! So, every year the old man gets a new design clipped onto his butt. Usually I go with some sort of nerdy theme - pi has been popular in the past... This year I decided to go with a couple of designs from Portal, a fantastic new video game. If you're familiar with it, you'll probably get a kick out of his new Weighted Companion Cube, and slice of cake. Ok, nerd portion of this post over, I promise!

I am working on some new articles for the website detailing how to make a rubber mold, so stay tuned for that! It's interesting to see, even if you aren't going to be doing any mold making yourself.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Aww, Chinny looks cute with his new designs this year! Great pics

Libbie Mistretta said...

Beautiful photos, Mel! Chinny is so gorgeous, even as an old dude. And I love the new butt clippings.

Marta said...

He looks pretty damned good after all these years!

-marta from high school :o

Mel Miller said...

Thanks guys! Hey Marta! I was just wondering what you were up to a couple days ago! I don't have your email address - drop me a line: melanie@chinookstudios.com

Heather said...

Chinny looks great...I have a Cushing pony, just getting ready to body clip him for Fall...love the butt design idea!

~Heather in Cali

Magna Cum Mule Trainer said...

You did a good clip job- mine was so awful the first time you could tell Jas was clipped from 50 yards away!
Darned spring shows...

Mel Miller said...

Heh! You should have seen the first time I clipped... with wide blades and a regular width 3/4 inch comb. Yowza! I had a lot of feathering of horrible gouge lines to do around the flanks!