Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Curly Con't


Progress on Curly slowly but surely marches along. This horse is one of the custom orders I took in my last lottery, and is a portrait of a wonderful appaloosa gelding. I'm very pleased with the progress on him so far, especially considering the difficulty of matching his almost white, but very roany color. These shots show the completion of the first pencil roaning stage. (Click on the photo below for a larger detail shot.)


In this stage the roaning is darker and not as subtle as it will eventually need to be. To achieve the look so far, he began with a roaned acrylic basecoat, and was then covered in pencilwork. The first four layers were various shades of brown, followed by a lot of white and then a 10% warm grey to finish and blend. The next step is to do a layer or two of powdered pigment. This will help to match his color more closely with the real Curly, and will soften things up a bit. More in progress pics to follow!

5 comments:

Carol H. said...

He looks great so far!

Rayvin Brewer said...

Looking great!!! I love how your roany ponies look!

Mel Miller said...

Thanks guys! :-D

Marianna said...

Wow. I don't know how I missed this...of course, I've seen him in person plenty, but the lighting in your photos really makes the details popped. Thank you!!! <3

Mel Miller said...

Oh Marianna! You know what? I had logged in to Gmail to tell you this was posted and then completely forgot! I'm sure it was Tracy's fault. I' am blaming her even if it wasn't. ;-)