Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Curly Week

I should have a large Friday Tip (or essay rather) up this week. I am picking away at it when I have time, but for now I am still busy trying to finish Curly. Another wrench was thrown into the works when I couldn't quite get what I wanted with his little freckle spots in oils. I decided to go and pick some spots out in pencil before going over him in oils one more time. Here are some pictures of the stages he's been in since the last photo update. You can click on any of them to see larger versions!



This is Curly all in oils. At this stage, his head has had two coats, his legs three coats, and his body one coat.


Head closeup so you can see the softer detailing of the oils.


Curly's other side, where you can see the same as the above photo of his left side, but with pencil speckling done on his head, neck and forequarters. The speckling fades as it approaches his barrel.


And last, but not least, a detail shot of the oil coat with the spots picked out in pencil. I finished up the pencil work today, and gave him another coat of oils on his head and body. I'll take a pic of that after he's dry and before I resume on him tomorrow!

2 comments:

Daphne said...

Mel, seeing the mottling on him really brings this piece to life in a spectacular way. What an accomplishment!

Becky Turner said...

wow Mel,
Id love to watch you paint and sculpt sometime...
he is really turning out great.. how inspiring to me to see your work in progress! thanks for the posts and pictures.. I have one really stupid question though and I should know the answer but I just can't for the life of me remember.. how do I get he copy-write symbol? which keys ? lol.
Becky Turner
http://www.solticeartstudio.blogspot.com
http://www.solticeart.com