Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mini Nahar Coming Right Along


At long last, an update on mini Nahar! At the time of the last post I was unsure if I would do any more pencil work. I stared and stared at his body for the longest time, and ultimately did wind up doing some work to pick out and form the dapples more in pastel pencil. That was then sealed and I continued with oils, this time in a slightly different manner than the other oil coats.

Before, I had applied thin basecoats of the area's primary color and then worked dapples in on top of that. This time, I kept colors to their own "zones" - in other words, no putting color on top of dapples or other whiter areas. I also didn't put too much pigment on because of the roaning effect I was planning to do on top. Too much paint would have caused a muddy mess, and there were a couple of areas that had to be wiped off and restarted despite my efforts to prevent a paint buildup. It's a tricky process for sure!

Working with very small frayed (for uneven application of the rosy grey pigments) and fine tipped brushes (for precision on the dapples), I followed the map laid out in the previous sessions. I carefully blended the edges of the dapples in slightly and intensified the white on some of them. This part was easy but time consuming and eye straining. The next part went faster, but was considerably more difficult!

Using stiff small rounds very sparingly loaded with paint, I stippled over the top of everything with white and then all of the different shades of grey in the appropriate places. This emphasized the roaning effect that was started with the unevenly applied paint, pencil work and short painting strokes. In this step I also carefully went over many of the dapples with the rose grey colors to introduce some more randomness and roaning throughout the coat. This process is very unpredictable, but that unpredictability is helpful when used sparingly and with a light touch.

Next, I went back over some of the dapples to re-emphasize the white or shape them out as needed. I finished up with some more back and forth work in any areas that needed it. I did not do any leg work in this session - it had all been done previously, and still needs finishing. For the next steps, I expect I'll be finishing the legs in the same way as the body and picking out details everywhere before I get to the mane and tail. 'Till next time, happy experimenting!

2 comments:

Carol H. said...

He's looking great, Mel! Thanks for sharing your technique! Not only is it helpful for other artists to see what you're doing, but it helps people who aren't artists to see the long and arduous process it takes to get a great paint job.

Next time you should show your sculpting process, too ;-)

Mel Miller said...

Thanks Carol! I do kind of have a sculpting version, but it's not nearly as detailed. I will have to remember to do this for the next one I start. You've probably already seen the Jasmine journal, but it starts here for those who want to see.