Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday Tip


Ok, we're back with a real tip today... ;-) I keep my paints in little plastic drawers to keep them organized and easy to grab and inventory. My particular set has four of these drawers (you can click on the picture to enlarge) with plastic dividers inside. I find I can keep two tubes of paint in each compartment. This is great for two reasons: 1)I always have a spare - I never run out of paint, and 2) When I'm getting ready to stop by Dan Smith, I can just pull out my drawers and easily note which colors I'm low on. Keeping two tubes is also nice just in case the store is out of paint. This seems to happen frequently with metallic gold in particular for me... So even if I need to move on to my spare tube, I always have enough until the next shopping trip.

I also labeled the sections which helped me to find my way around quickly when I started using this system. That tape is probably 15 years old now! After a while you'll find you just know where to go, but the tape still comes in handy for rarely used colors. These kinds of organizers can usually be found at the hardware store or the storage section of any large craft or general store.

3 comments:

Sian said...

A question was posted on a popular discussion board about what colors to use. I listed mine; if you haven't done so already could you list yours? I'm always looking to learn more. Thank you!

Leah said...

What do you use metallic gold for? Have you had any luck using it to give a real gold shine to palominos?

Mel Miller said...

Sure Jane! I'll put it in the lineup of things to talk about. :-D Leah, I use the metallic gold a lot. Definitely for palominos, and I also always add it to white mixes to both tone the starkness down and add a little interest. It goes in lots of other color mixes too, especially lighter ones.