Friday, May 22, 2009

Tetawken Progressing


Yet again, another Friday Tip delay. Sorry guys! Tetawken is the culprit; the deadline is coming up fast and I am working on him pretty much non-stop (and going cross eyed to boot). The next hoof tip is about halfway done, so as soon as I get a break from Tetawken, I'll be able to finish it up pretty quickly. Until then, here is a little sneak peek at his progress. His current state is the first picture above; he still needs roaning touchups, legs, markings finished and final details. You can click on his pictures to embiggen!


In this stage, two layers of roaning - one white, one colored - were painted over a blocked in basecoat.


Here, several more layers of roaning have been added as well as some filling in on the markings.

Also, Amy Widman was kind enough to send in a photo of her Simply CM mini stock horse with his winnings. Congrats Amy!

4 comments:

Becky Turner said...

looking really good mel! tell us.. how do you do the roaning? are you dry brushing or? Im trying to find a new technique for how I do it.. so I want to see as many different ways as I can find. he is going to be really beautiful though!
Rebecca Turner

Mel Miller said...

Thanks Rebecca! On this guy, I am dry brushing in oils. I usually do not paint this way since it is complicated and requires huge blocks of time, whereas with pencil and other media I can set it aside whenever I want! But this was really the only way to get him done in time. I will try to figure out how to do a tip on this technique though! :-)

Erin said...

He is looking great Mel!

Mel Miller said...

Thanks Erin! I've gotta go do another marathon on him in a few minutes... Hopefully for the last time.