Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Tip


Epoxy gets old and difficult to work with after its container has been open for a few months. Do yourself a favor, and don't try to sculpt anything requiring detail with it. It will probably need to be dremeled back off anyway! But don't fret, there is a use for stiff old epoxy. It still cures just fine, so use it as a filler! This is a great way to make some headway on major resculpting projects a bit at a time, filling in gaps from removed body parts, or those niggling little things like holes in a neck from sanding off a mane. Be sure to work it in your hands quite a while (a good indication is when it is relatively soft) to make sure the two parts are evenly mixed, as the older the epoxy is, the harder it is to mix properly.

6 comments:

Sian said...

Good info..I have some very old gapoxio..

Mel Miller said...

Excellent! Glad the tip will come in handy. :-D

Rayvin said...

You can also nuke it in the microwave once to refresh it. I believe it was a max of 5 seconds or so and it will work for a little while longer. Only do this once though. :)

Mel Miller said...

I completely forgot about the microwave thing Rayvin. Thanks! :-D

ArabsRule said...

Do you nuke it before or after its mixed or does it matter. Mine always gets crappy since I dont use it up very fast. I have thrown it out in the past so good to know its still usable!

Mel Miller said...

Bev, I always thought it was before the parts were mixed, but now that I think about it, that may just be an assumption on my part. I haven't had the need to do it myself! I'm sure the answer is on Blab somewhere. :-)