Wednesday, July 27, 2011

New Horse and In Progress

Well, now that I'm all set up again I've really been blasting through projects in the studio! :-D First up is "Call Me Trouble", the newly finished Call Me Ringo custom. He'll be headed for My Auction Barn this coming Monday (August 1). Click here to see the full gallery.


Next up is this Deseoso II resin. He has appeared in the blog before at various stages, very slowly progressing. It is my mission to finish both him and the haired Valor this August. They have both been lingering half finished for entirely too long! Today I started in on Dese's oil layers. I spent about 7 1/2 solid hours doing this side today:


Much like Curly's paint job I started with one method, found it to not be working to my liking, and switched tactics. Again, matching color was the real culprit and I knew I could get the shade I wanted in oils. The other thing about oils is I can now get an even more refined hair texture than I can using other media. It is quite difficult to achieve the look without getting uniform "mud" and getting the right direction of hair growth is exceedingly tricky, but it's worth the work if the desired end result is a softer roan.

Up next for him (after his other side is oil painted) is some more pencil work to pick out some of the specks and sharper roany areas. More pics to come then!

6 comments:

Carol said...

They're all looking great! Love the Deseoso :-) Hey, I have a question for you: do you thin your oils with anything before applying the paint?

Shanti said...

Just beautiful!!!

Becky Turner said...

yea Im curious also on that.. I use liquin on mine so they dry super fast and I can do more than one coat a day if I want.. it can dry that fast.. im working on a roan type coat kind of. and its finally tuning out great.. this guy is looking pretty good! cant wait to see himd one.. wow...

Mel Miller said...

Thanks guys! :D I do thin the paint with W&N Blending & Glazing Medium first. For something like this where I want a lot of texture I need some body so I don't thin it as much as I would for a solid color.

Urbangoatgirl said...

That Deseoso makes my heart beat fast. Is he a commission or will he be for sale at some point? I'm dreaming about him!

Mel Miller said...

He's a commission - sorry about that!